Most people remain concerned about their appearance, especially how great their smile looks. Some, who have dental conditions, end up feeling shy about flaunting their teeth. Today, one of the main reasons that make people conscious and uncomfortable about their looks is an “open bite.” Just as the name suggests, this is a condition in which the upper and lower set of teeth are misaligned in a way that even when the mouth is closed, it looks as though it’s open.
Often, the best solution for such problems is to visit a professional orthodontist, who can come up with the best treatment plans. You can carry out a research of your own, but it is advisable that you choose one that has gone through continuing education such as the courses and programs available at Gerety Orthodontic Seminars. Choosing such, an expert will guarantee that you have a chance of successful treatment and a life without worrying about the health of your teeth.
Types of Open Bite
When it comes to open bite, there are different types, including:
- Posterior Open Bite: this open bite is one in which there is a space between the back teeth, prominent when the teeth bite together.
- Anterior Open Bite: this is when teeth biting together do not overlap between the opposing teeth.
- Incomplete over Bite: in this type of open bite, the lower set of front teeth does not touch the upper front teeth.
Possible Causes of Open Bite
Various reasons could be the cause of open bite developing. Most probably, it is the action of putting a strain on the teeth alignment, and common in younger people. However, possible causes include:
- Tongue thrusting: sometimes, children protrude their tongue when swallowing. As they do so, the front teeth end up protruding outwards. Once it’s too late, open bite develops.
- Sucking the Thumb or Lower Lip: Common in infants and toddlers if not controlled on time, this can result in impairing the appeal of your smile and develops an open bite.
- Temporomandibular Joint Disorder: Another cause of open bites is TMJ disorder. With this, the patient ends up suffering from chronic pain in the jaw. He or she usually pushes the tongue in a way to push the set of teeth apart to put the jaw in a better soothing, comfortable position. Usually, patients complain about frequent headache and sensitive teeth.
Prevention is always better than cure, so it is encouraged to most parents to address this issue when their children are at a younger age. At an early stage, treatment can be effective through different options.
The Best Treatment Options Available
When it comes to treating open bites, rest assured there are numerous different ways available to correct it, including:
- Braces: One of the most common ways to treat this condition is by using dental braces. This makes it possible to balance the teeth by pulling it back. Your orthodontist will assess the severity of the open bite and design the treatment as per assessment. He or she would then apply the custom-made braces.
- Roller Appliance: this can help to limit the tongue behind and prevent it from thrusting the front set of teeth.
- Headgear: Sometimes, a pull headgear helps to direct the force towards the right areas. This helps to ensure the aligned growth of the jaws and teeth.
- Work with Health Experts: working with experienced health experts in devising the best strategies can help to minimize bad oral habits and decrease the consequences of such problems.
- Surgical Correction: In severe cases when everything fails, the only resort may be to seek surgical correction for adults. This surgery helps to correct the jaw, offering a permanent solution to open bite problems. As a fact, this surgery can help to place the upper jaw back to its new position and secure it in place with screws and plates.
What Could Happen If You Ignore The Treatment?
A question that often arises about this condition is what could go worse left untreated?
- Aesthetic purpose makes it the obvious reason why you shouldn’t ignore the treatment. How you feel about your smile has a direct link with your confidence. If you feel confident with your outside, it can have a drastic impact on your inner confidence. Hence, if you ignore this condition, you will have to battle with depression and a life of low confidence.
- If left untreated, people can develop a lisp, which not only has an effect on your speech, but also the effectiveness of words when you talk.
- A worse condition can stop you from chewing food properly. With this condition, food and drinks can easily seep out of the tongue.
- Due to constant friction, the posterior teeth can wear out as the back teeth overlap more than often. Ultimately, this can lead to acute pain while chewing as well as develop other dental conditions.
For open bites, it is always recommended that you consult expert orthodontists who have years of experience. So, explore your options properly.