It is a popular belief to stay away from fat when you want to lose weight.
But recent scientific research has shown that there are certain weight loss programs that allow fatty foods in one’s diet. Even well-respected doctors are starting to recommend dieters to add some fat on their plate to become thinner.
Believe it or not, there are certain fatty foods that provide health benefits and that includes weight loss, as we discuss below.
What exactly is a healthy fat?
Before you rush to a restaurant or a grocery store to buy your food, there are important nutritional facts you need to keep in mind. Not all fats are good for you.
Trans fats are found in processed baked goods. They are usually called the “hydrogenated oils” on the ingredients list.
What experts recommend are the fats found in whole foods like coconut oil, nuts, seeds, avocados, grass-fed beef and butter, olive oil, and eggs. Long ago, foods such as beef and butter were strictly prohibited to dieters. But today, including these foods into your diet is not forbidden to effectively lose weight.
Other fitness experts also suggest tuna and salmon as a good source of healthy fats.
How does fat help you trim your excess weight?
Including sources of fat in your diet will give you a fuller and more satisfied feeling after your meals. As a result, you are less likely to overeat or eat again after a few hours. According to Dr. Mark Hyman, eating fats also help boost energy, speed up metabolism, balance hormones, shut down cravings, and even protect your heart from coronary diseases.
These claims may be hard to believe if you heard them from nameless online experts. But Dr. Hyman is a renowned physician and the director of the Cleveland Clinic Center for Functional Medicine. He is also the chairman of the board of the Institute for Functional Medicine and the founder and medical director of The UltraWellness Center.
According to the book “Eat Fat, Get Thin” that Dr. Hyman wrote, he encourages dieters to incorporate healthy fats in their diet as a comprehensive weight loss program. He is just one of the many experts who recommend eating healthy fats to help you slim down.
The question now is, how much fat can you eat?
Years ago, it was recommended by the dietary guidelines that you cannot consume more that 25% or 30% of your daily calories from fat. But recent guidelines do not have such a strict recommendation for fat intake, as it was found that carbs are the main culprits for getting fat, not fat itself.
As lenient as they are today, many fitness experts and nutrition professionals still recommend you to watch over your fat intake when trying to lose weight. Though certain fats are healthy for you, they also contain calories. In fact, each gram of fat you eat provides your body nine calories.
If you choose to include more healthy fats in your diet, always remember that going overboard will displace other important nutrients your body needs. For example, it will lead you to eat les muscle-building proteins and eat fewer energy-boosting carbs.
Below is a list of 10 high fat foods that are healthy for your weight loss:
- Dark Chocolate – It is high in fat and also loaded with antioxidants that prevent body inflammation. This is also a great treat for people who are trying to lose weight.
- Cheese – It contains powerful fatty acids that can help reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes. A single slice of cheese also contains the same amount of nutrients as a glass of milk.
- Whole Eggs – Each egg is known to contain 212 mg of cholesterol. But recent studies show that the cholesterol found in eggs does not affect the cholesterol in your blood. They contain powerful antioxidants and choline – a brain nutrient everybody needs.
- Avocados – What makes avocados healthy is its monounsaturated fat content called oleic acid.
- Fatty Fish – They contain the essential fatty acid “omega-3”. This kind of fat reduces your risk of all sorts of diseases, and helps your heart and brain.
- Chia Seeds – They are high-fat plant foods that have numerous health benefits like lowering blood pressure and fighting inflammation.
- Nuts – They contain healthy fats, magnesium and vitamin E.
- Full Fat Yogurt – A high-fat dairy product that is loaded with healthy probiotic bacteria that improves your gut health.
- Coconut Oil – This is high in medium-chain fatty acids and help reduce appetite, increase your body’s capability to utilize fat as fuel while providing many health benefits.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – This also contains monounsaturated fat content called oleic acid.
The secret to achieve a slim figure is to always favor high-quality food choices that contain complex carbohydrates and healthy fats like the examples listed above.
Foods that will fulfill all your nutritional needs will help you build muscles, burn more body fat and feel satiated for longer periods of time. This is the kind of diet that you should stick to for life.